January 19, 2012

To Migrate

Winter

I used to love this time of year.
There is a sort of hypnotizing beauty in watching snow fall or trying to memorize the unique patterns of frost on the windows.
I enjoyed epic snowball fights with my brothers and making snow men that were reminiscent of ones we saw in Calvin and Hobbes comic books.
Snowshoeing in the fields on a still night when it would be so quiet that you could almost hear the snow falling.  Then to come back to a warm house to thaw out on the couch with a blanket, hot cider, a cat and a good book.
Those were the days.


Now.....
There are farm chores to do during the day that require quite some time outdoors in all types of bad weather.
There is the hour drive to school every day in a car with the worst heater possible.
Not to mention the college building never heats up.... so it's hours in the ice box.
Then the cold drive home only to do more chores in the snow.
Playing in the snow?  No way, if I can spend most of my time indoors I will.
I freeze and stay frozen for most of the day (and night). I don't think my toes will ever thaw out!

I want to migrate to the equator and not return till all this snow is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment