September 17, 2011

A sad day

My flock of ducks has decreased in size this week.
Jemima and Beatrix, my two Pekin females were put on the menu this Tuesday.
Starting from day one I was warned not to become emotionally attached to my ducks due to the fact that they are meat birds and all share the same fate of a chopping block and the roasting pan.
Why did I not head that warning?
As I drove home from school that night, I thought about all the time I'd spent raising these ducks from days old little yellow fluff balls to beautiful, intelligent and funny ducks practically bursting with personality.
At home as my family was relating all the nitty-gritty details of butchering I tried my hardest to keep my lunch from becoming part of the visible world again. I wept as I entered the kitchen to find my pets in the sink and ready for cooking.
What had I done?
I flat out refused to cook them when the suggestion came up. I was going to do homework, go for a jog, anything to distract myself from the crushing reality that I had allowed my "children" to be murdered.
Am I a terrible person for admitting that I rather enjoy eating roast duck? I love it actually. Roast duck is positively scrumptious! When you walk into a house and the first thing that assaults your senses is the smell of mouthwatering roast duck, you can't help but forget that the food on your plate was recently a living and breathing creature. I am guilty of this charge.
Jemima, Beatrix, you are sorely missed, but greatly appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment